Although the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express and the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express have a higher annual fee then the Gold version of the Delta credit card, there are some added benefits that you’ll receive on an annual basis. One benefit is the annual companion certificate that is only given to Delta Platinum credit card holders (both for the personal and business version of the card), and NOT to Delta Gold credit card holders. This companion certificate allows someone to fly with you on the exact same itinerary! Right now, there is also a limited time offer for these credit cards, so definitely a card worth looking into!
Delta Companion Certificate FAQs
- Do I receive the companion certificate immediately upon applying for the Platinum card? Unfortunately, no. You only receive the companion certificate upon account renewal. So you will have to wait about a year after receiving the card to take advantage of this benefit.
- Is this a one time benefit? No! You’ll receive the companion ticket every single year you renew your Delta Platinum card and pay annual fee.
- What routes are the companion certificates good for? The companion certificate will allow another person to fly with you on the exact same itinerary. It is valid for all roundtrip Delta, Delta Connection, and Delta Shuttle flights within the continental US. That means flights to/from Alaska and Hawaii are not eligible. Although, if you are a resident of Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, or the US Virgin Islands, you can use the companion certificate, but only to fly from home (that being Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands) to the continental US and back.
- What are the limitations with the companion certificate? To use the companion certificate you need to purchase your ticket at least 14 days in advance with a minimum 3-night stay. Even though you are limited to just coach tickets, you are even more limited to the fare class. Eligible flights must be booked with fare class L, U, T, X and V. You also will not be eligible for an upgrade. Also, if you need to cancel a flight booked using the companion certificate, you will not get the certificate back to use on a future flight.
- Can someone really fly for free by using the companion certificate? Sorta. While the base fare is free, you’ll still be on the hook to pay the required taxes and fees which can vary depending on the route. The cost, however, will never be more than $75 roundtrip (for itineraries with up to four flight segments). Keep in mind though that the person booked using the companion ticket (i.e., the free ticket) will not earn miles for their flight.
- How do I redeem the companion certificate? You can redeem the companion certificate quite easily. It is tied to your Delta SkyMiles account, so all you have to do is log in, go to “My Delta” and you’ll see it in the “Credits and Certificates” section under “My Wallet”. Or, if you know your 8-digit companion certificate number, you can redeem directly here. You also must use your Platinum Delta SkyMiles credit card to pay for the tickets.
- Can I gift the companion certificate to someone else? Yes! You are not required to be flying to use the companion ticket. You are able to give the certificate to anyone you desire so they can book a flight and have any one of their friends/family members use the certificate.
In theory, the companion certificate can save you money if you are a Delta flier and can offset the annual fee. However, some folks have complained about the difficult usage of the certificate due to the limitations of the certificate, i.e, fare class requirement, advance purchase, minimum night stay, etc. However, if you are one to plan in advance and have flexibility, you will most likely be able to get your moneys worth and save way more then the annual fee!
Let me know if you have any other questions!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. As always, thank you for supporting the blog and enjoy traveling on a deal!