This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
With the upcoming merging of points between Marriott and Starwood come August, there are many questions on how one can earn lifetime status. Ultimately, there are four different ways to earn lifetime status. Earning lifetime status via #1-#3 must be done by the end of this year. #4 is the new requirement which will start in August and will be how one can earn lifetime status going forward.
1. Earn lifetime status under the CURRENT Starwood requirements through December 31, 2018
While the number of nights required to earn lifetime status with Starwood isn’t that high, having that many years of elite status might be the challenge. And remember, only stays at Starwood properties will count (you cannot include Marriott stays).
- Lifetime SPG Gold = 250 nights and 5 years of elite status
- Lifetime SPG Platinum = 500 nights and 10 years of Platinum status
2. Earn lifetime status under the CURRENT Marriott requirements through December 31, 2018
Marriott is one of the few programs where ALL points earned count towards lifetime status. This includes points earned from hotel stays, purchased points, points transferred from another person, points transferred from another program such as Chase Ultimate Rewards, credit card bonus points, etc. The one exception is that points transferred from your Starwood account will NOT count towards lifetime status. And similar to the Starwood requirements, only stays at Marriott properties will count (you cannot include Starwood stays).
- Lifetime Silver = 250 nights and 1.2 million points
- Lifetime Gold = 500 nights and 1.6 million points
- Lifetime Platinum = 750 nights and 2 million points
3. Earn lifetime status by combining Starwood and Marriott nights and years towards status through December 31, 2018
Through a reliable source, there actually might be one more way to earn Platinum Premier lifetime status for just 2018. While it isn’t 100% confirmed yet, my fingers are crossed that this method actually works. You can learn more here.
- Lifetime Platinum Premier = 10 years of Platinum status combined between Starwood and Marriott AND 750 nights combined between Starwood and Marriott.
4. Earn lifetime status under the NEW requirements.
You can also earn lifetime status with the NEW requirements being put in place in August 2018. Marriott will actually COMBINE your current lifetime progress with both programs! These will be the new requirements going forward. This is great for those that have stayed at both Marriott and Starwood properties throughout the years. Remember though, there will be no way to earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status under the new requirements.
- Lifetime Silver Elite = 250 lifetime nights plus 5 years of elite status
- Lifetime Gold Elite = 400 lifetime nights plus 7 years of Gold Elite status or higher
- Lifetime Platinum Elite = 600 lifetime nights plus 10 years of Platinum Elite status
Matching Lifetime Elite Status
If you’ve already earned Lifetime status in one of the two programs or if you will earn it under the current requirements by the end of December 31, 2018 (so with option #1 or #2), this is how your current lifetime status will match to the new program. Earning lifetime status in 2018 under the CURRENT requirements is important as it will be your only opportunity to earn Platinum Premier lifetime status. In 2019 Platinum status (which is one status level below Platinum Premier) will be the highest status you can earn.
- Starwood Lifetime Platinum Gold => Marriott Lifetime Gold Elite
- Starwood Lifetime Platinum => Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
- Starwood Lifetime Platinum with 750 nights => Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite
**For those who have earned Starwood Lifetime Platinum but have been able to earn 750 nights (instead of just the required 500 nights), you’ll receive Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite
- Marriott Lifetime Silver => Marriott Lifetime Silver Elite
- Marriott Lifetime Gold => Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
- Marriott Lifetime Platinum => Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite
What lifetime status are you trying to obtain? And feel free to comment below with any questions.