This is a quick reminder that the purchase SPG points at a 35% discount promotion is coming to an end! This offer is available to everyone and you can purchase up to 30,000 points through May 31, 2018.
If you go all in it will cost you $682.50 to purchase 30,000 points. If you are looking to travel in the near future, do the math and see if purchasing points is cheaper then paying for the hotel outright. With a new award chart coming out in August, there is a good chance that this promotion could save you a ton of money. 30,000 SPG points will transfer to 90,000 Marriott points so you can see from the award chart below that 90,000 points can go quite far. Unfortunately the full list of which Starwood and Marriott hotel will belong in which category has not yet been announced, but they have published a preview list of some of their top hotels which might be helpful.
Some things to know with this promotion:
- The maximum number of points you can purchase in a calendar year is 30,000 points
- You can purchase points in increments of 500
- Points take up to 24 hours to deposit into your account
- Your Starwood account must be activated for at least 14 days
- Purchase points here
Pros/Cons of Redeeming Points:
- You will still get stay/night credits even when redeeming (pro)
- You will not get the points (con)
- If there is a bonus at the time, you will be ineligible when redeeming points (con)
- If you are using all points, you will not have to pay any taxes (pro)
- If using cash + point, you sometimes need to pay tax on the cash portion, but since this is on such a smaller amount you will not have to pay the full tax on the regular rate and at some resort and city locations this can be extremely high (pro)
- At some hotels, you do not have the pay the resort fee if using points to redeem for your stay (pro)
While I always recommend to NOT purchase points speculatively, this might be the one time I say otherwise. Although I still suggest running some of the numbers on your ideal vacations to see if you think it could be worth it. I which the full list of categories were available, but since they are not, you’ll have to go with your gut on this one and hopefully one of the preview list properties is on your radar to give you an idea of whether or not this is a good deal.