Today is the last day to purchase SPG points at a 35% discount! While this promotion has come and gone quite often over the years, my gut tells me this is the last time we will see this offer appear due to the upcoming SPG/Marriott merger in August.
If you go all in it will cost you $682.50 to purchase 30,000 points. If you are looking to travel in the near future, do the math and see if purchasing points is cheaper then paying for the hotel outright. Or, with the future changes coming coming next month, there is a really good chance that purchasing points could save you a ton of money on future travel. Next month, 30,000 points will transfer to 90,000 points. Since 1 SPG point = 3 Marriott points. Below is the new award chart, and you can see the number of points required for every single hotel here.
Some things to know with this promotion:
- The maximum number of points you can purchase in a calendar year is 30,000 points
- You can purchase points in increments of 500
- Points take up to 24 hours to deposit into your account
- Your Starwood account must be activated for at least 14 days
- Purchase points here
Pros/Cons of Redeeming Points:
- You will still get stay/night credits even when redeeming (pro)
- You will not get the points (con)
- If there is a bonus at the time, you will be ineligible when redeeming points (con)
- If you are using all points, you will not have to pay any taxes (pro)
- If using cash + point, you sometimes need to pay tax on the cash portion, but since this is on such a smaller amount you will not have to pay the full tax on the regular rate and at some resort and city locations this can be extremely high (pro)
- At some hotels, you do not have the pay the resort fee if using points to redeem for your stay (pro)
This is a really good opportunity to purchase points for cheap! Although I will be sitting out on this promotion. Adam travels a ton for work and is able to accrue a decent amount of SPG points per year. I also already have an extremely healthy balance of Marriott and SPG points and do not really have a need right now for anymore. But I do know that many readers will be taking advantage of this promotion. Do the math and see if it will work in your benefit!