UPDATE: This offer has expired.
Rumor has it (and I believe it to be true), that there are some big changes happening around The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN. And based on Doctor of Credits findings it looks like this day might be tomorrow.
The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN: Welcome Offer: Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $5,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership. $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $175. Terms and limitations apply.
Come tomorrow, we might see a card with the following benefits:
- $295 annual fee, not waived first year –> currently the annual fee offers a $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $175 (**the new change will make this card much more expensive!)
- Card will earn 4x points on the two categories your business spends the most each billing cycle, from the following list (up to $150,000 in combined purchases each calendar year):
- Airfare purchased directly from airlines
- U.S. purchases for advertising in select media
- U.S. purchases at gas stations
- U.S. purchases for shipping
- U.S. computer hardware, software, and cloud computing purchases made directly from select providers
- **Currently you only earn 3x points on 1 of the five categories, so earning an extra point on that category, plus 4x points on a second category is pretty nice
- 25% points back after you book a flight with pay with points
If a new card launches, I do not suspect it to come with a high welcome offer. Of course that is just a hunch, but Amex welcome offers have not been so great lately in my opinion as we saw with the American Express Gold Card (the new personal version of the card).
If you were thinking about getting the card, now might be your best bet. There is also a targeted 75,000 point offer floating around, but requires $10,000 in spend. You have to call 1-800-971-6736 to check on your eligibility. Stay tuned to see what tomorrow brings!