Today is the big day where Southwest has extended their reservation system allowing you to now book flights through October 1, 2019. Up until this point you were only able to book through the beginning of August which means you can now book for the end of the summer, labor day, and the entire month of September. This is great for those trying to plan an end of the summer trip! For peak dates, such as Labor Day, this might be the best day to book your flights as it might be the lowest price you’ll see.
Book Now, Cancel Later
I personally love the flexibility of Southwest because I can cancel my vacation plans with NO PENALTY! I can also continue to watch the prices of the flight and IF they go down in price I can get the difference in points back! You can read more about the exact process and steps to go about this with these blog posts: “Changing and Canceling a Southwest Flight”, “If a Southwest Flight Goes Down in Price….”, and “Seeing if a Southwest Flight Went Down in Price is Now a Lot Easier“. But essentially if you…
- Paid for the flight… You will receive a voucher for the difference in fare price to be used one year from the date the flight was originally purchased (NOT the date the change process took place). This voucher is non-transferable. The voucher will be tied to the confirmation number of the original flight. There is NO fee for this.
- Booked your flight using points… The difference in points will go back into your account immediately. Although, you might want to cancel and rebook. Again, there is NO fee for this. This is why I love booking Southwest flights using points!
Book Now, Add Your Companion Later
If you are going for the Southwest Companion Pass, where you can fly a companion 2-for-1, you can still book your flight now and add your companion later! Even if you are not officially a companion pass holder just yet, but know you will be within a month or two, you can still book the first passengers flight now. Once you actually receive the pass, you can go ahead and add on your companion to your reservation—for free, plus taxes/fees!
With this schedule extension, Southwest has also announced some new non-stop seasonal routes starting August 10th:
- Dallas Love Field and Corpus Christi — Saturday only service
- Richmond, Virginia and Tampa, Florida — Saturday and Sunday only service
- Hartford, Connecticut and Fort Lauderdale — Saturday only service
- Buffalo and Fort Lauderdale — Saturday only service
- Boise and Chicago Midway — Saturday only service
- Newark and Orlando — Saturday only service
- Richmond and Orlando — Saturday only service
- Milwaukee and Seattle — Saturday only service
- Des Moines and Phoenix — Saturday only service
Also, if you are wondering when the next schedule extension is planned for: “On March 13, 2019 we will open our schedule for sale through November 2, 2019. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.”
We are a big Southwest family, which means the day the flight extension schedule comes out is a big travel booking day for me!