Airlines have been nickel and dimming their customer for the past two or so years. They are charging for every little thing possible: checked baggage, carry-on baggage, increased change fees, stand-by fees, etc.
I was on the Frontier Airlines website today and saw a news update from them that they have decided to actually enhance the experience for their travellers and do the complete opposite from the other airline out there. These changes took effect for all tickets purchased after April 13, 2011. I am happy to see this and hoping that maybe this is a trend for other airlines to follow.
Enhanced policies include:
- No change fees for itinerary changes made prior to the day of travel on Classic fares tickets (Classic Plus fares still receive this benefit)
- On Economy tickets, the change fee has been reduced from $100 to $50 and for any passenger who checks in online, they will receive reduced baggage fees from $20 to $15 (travellers who purchased a Classic or Classic Plus ticket, will continue to receive two complimentary checked bags)
- The flat fee for checked bicycles has been removed and will now be included in the standard baggage allowance, meaning customers traveling on Classic or Classic Plus fares can include their bike as one of their two complimentary checked bags and Economy passengers would pay $15/$20 if the bike is one of their first two checked bags. Bikes will be exempt from any oversize fees, but subject to overweight fees and excess bag fees, if applicable (which is similar to Frontier’s current policy for golf clubs and skis).
- Name changes will now be permitted for $50 on Classic and Economy tickets. Classic Plus ticket holders and Summit-level EarlyReturns members can change a name at no charge. In addition to the name-change fee, guests will also be responsible for paying any difference in fare at the time the change is made.
- Fees for same-day confirmed flight changes on Classic tickets is reduced to $25 from $50 with no fare difference.
- Third + checked baggage will be standardized at $50/bag for all markets, domestic and international.