The new IHG PointBreak list was just announced where you can stay at about 200 properties for a discounted number of points. After taking a quick glance at the available hotels, there are actually some really good ones. You can search the entire list here which is filtered by 5,000 vs. 10,000 vs. 15,000 point properties. This promotion is for reservations through October 31, 2019.
For those also with a zero account balance, there are a few good ways to earn points to redeem for the Point Break hotels:
- IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card — Right now the IHG co-branded card has an increased 125,000 point welcome bonus. This is the highest offer we’ve seen to do. It also offers a free night certificate annually capped at a hotel costing 40,000 points. You’ll also receive your 4th night free, which is huge, and can be combined with PointBreak properties too! Related: 6 Reasons Why You Want the IHG Credit Card
- Transferring points from Chase Ultimate Rewards — You can transfer your Chase UR points at a 1:1 ratio, although compared to the other transfer partners it is not a great value. But if this is your only way to get the 5,000-15,000 points then it can definitely be worthwhile.
- Purchasing points — Unfortunately right now there is no bonus on purchasing IHG points, but many times you can purchase points with up to a 100% bonus. That brings the cost of purchasing points to be pretty cheap! And if you have the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, you’ll receive an extra 20% discount! Related: Combining Two Credit Card Benefits for a 32% Discount
I took a look at the list and the ones that standout to me include:
- Holiday Inn Express Krabi Ao Nang Beach, Thailand
- Crowne Plaza Stamford
- Holiday Inn & Suites Pittsfield-Berkshires
- InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, Venezuela
- Holiday Inn San Francisco-Fishermans Wharf
- InterContinental At Doral Miami
- Holiday Inn Cape Cod-Falmouth
- InterContinental Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Holiday Inn Lisbon, Portugal
- Hotel Indigo Phuket Patong, Thailand
- InterContinental Hanoi Landmark72, Vietnam
- Crowne Plaza Perth, Australia
Keep in mind that PointBreak reservations go fast, so if there is a hotel you are interested in, I suggest booking immediately. Last go around, some hotels were completely off the PointBreak list within an hour or two. Another reminder — IHG only allows you to book two PointBreak reservations per hotel.
Where will you book?!