The new IHG PointBreak list was just announced where you can stay at about 100 properties for a discounted number of points. After taking a quick glance at the available hotels, there are actually some property good ones. You can search the entire list here which is filtered by 5,000 vs. 10,000 vs. 15,000 point properties. This promotion is for reservations through August 31, 2019.
For those also with a zero account balance, there are a few good ways to earn points to redeem for the Point Break hotels:
- IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card — Last year, IHG launched a new co-branded credit card that now comes with a 80,000 point welcome bonus. They increased the annual fee to $89/night and limited the free night certificate to hotels capped at 40,000 points. Although they did add a 4th night free benefit when redeeming your points and an opportunity to get a 20% discount when purchasing points. Related: 6 Reasons Why You Want the IHG Credit Card
- Transferring points from Chase Ultimate Rewards — You can transfer your Chase UR points at a 1:1 ratio, although compared to the other transfer partners it is not a great value. But if this is your only way to get the 5,000-15,000 points then it can definitely be worthwhile.
- Purchasing points — Unfortunately right now there is no bonus on purchasing IHG points, but many times you can purchase points with up to a 100% bonus. That brings the cost of purchasing points to be pretty cheap! And if you have the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, you’ll receive an extra 20% discount! Related: Combining Two Credit Card Benefits for a 32% Discount
I took a look at the list and the ones that standout to me include:
- Holiday Inn Express Baltimore At The Stadiums (10,000 points a night)
- Holiday Inn Auburn-Finger Lakes Region (10,000 points a night)
- Crowne Plaza Istanbul – Asia (10,000 points a night)
- Crowne Plaza Porto (10,000 points a night)
- Holiday Inn & Suites Orlando SW – Celebration Area (15,000 points a night)
- Crowne Plaza Melbourne-Oceanfront (15,000 points a night)
- Crowne Plaza Baltimore – Inner Harbor (15,000 points a night)
- Holiday Inn & Suites Ann Arbor Univ. Michigan Area (15,000 points a night)_
- Holiday Inn Ann Arbor-Near The Univ. Of Mi (15,000 points a night)
- Hotel Indigo Mount Pleasant (15,000 points a night)
- Crowne Plaza Austin (15,000 points a night)
- Holiday Inn Arlington At Ballston (15,000 points a night)
- Holiday Inn & Suites Madison West (15,000 points a night)
- InterContinental Kuala Lumpur (15,000 points a night)
Keep in mind that PointBreak reservations go fast, so if there is a hotel you are interested in, I suggest booking immediately. Last go around, some hotels were completely off the PointBreak list within an hour or two. Another reminder — IHG only allows you to book two PointBreak reservations per hotel.
Where will you book?!