IHG just loaded the new list today which includes about 100 properties. While you still will not see (and probably will never see!) those incredibly desirable properties in New York City, Los Angeles, Bora Bora, Paris, etc., I actually see some good properties available at a discount. You can search the entire list here which is filtered by 5,000 vs. 10,000 vs. 15,000 point properties. This promotion is for reservations May 31, 2019. Remember, last year, IHG was fully revamping their Point Break promotion — instead of hotels just costing 5,000 points, hotels will now cost either 5,000, 10,000 or 15,000 points. While hotels have gotten more expensive, they have increased the number of properties included on the list.
For those also with a zero account balance, there are a few good ways to earn points to redeem for the Point Break hotels:
- IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card — IHG recently launched a new co-branded credit card that comes with a 80,000 point welcome bonus. They increased the annual fee to $89/night and limited the free night certificate to hotels capped at 40,000 points. Although they did add a 4th night free benefit when redeeming your points and an opportunity to get a 20% discount when purchasing points. You can learn more about hotel credit cards here. Related blog post detailing card offer and benefits.
- Transferring points from Chase Ultimate Rewards — You can transfer your Chase UR points at a 1:1 ratio, although compared to the other transfer partners it is not a great value. But if this is your only way to get the 5,000-15,000 points then it can definitely be worthwhile.
- Purchasing points — There is currently a promotion where you can purchase IHG points with an 80% bonus. That brings the cost of purchasing points to be pretty cheap! And if you have the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, you’ll receive an extra 20% discount!
I took a look at the list and the ones that standout to me include:
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Santa Ana – Orange County (10,000 points/night)
- Holiday Inn St Augustine – World Golf (10,000 points/night)
- Staybridge Suites Charleston – Mount Pleasant (10,000 points/night)
- Holiday Inn Express Gent (10,000 points/night)
- Crowne Plaza West Hanoi (10,000 points/night)
- Holiday Inn & Suites Clearwater Beach S-Harbourside (15,000 points/night)
- Hotel Indigo Harrisburg – Hershey (15,000 points/night)
- Hotel Indigo Mount Pleasant (15,000 points/night)
- InterContinental Pattaya Resort (15,000 points/night)
Keep in mind that PointBreak reservations go fast, so if there is a hotel you are interested in, I suggest booking immediately. Also, IHG only allows you to book two PointBreak reservations per account.
Where will you book?!