Last month, Southwest upped their bonus offers on all three personal credit cards to an all time high of up to 75,000 bonus points. This is huge since the bonus points earned from the sign up offer count towards the Southwest Companion Pass. Through my experience, the points earned from referring others also count towards the pass. (More below on how to earn the pass simply from signing up for the credit card). Unfortunately though, all good things must come to an end as this offer is set to expire on February 10, 2020.
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card: Earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening, plus an additional 35,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases within your first 6 months of account opening. ($69 annual fee)
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card: Earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening, plus an additional 35,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases within your first 6 months of account opening. ($99 annual fee)
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card: Earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening, plus an additional 35,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases within your first 6 months of account opening. ($149 annual fee)
Note: This offer is also available through referral links, so you can generate a referral link and have friends and family members sign up through your link. You’ll receive an extra 10,000 points (up to 50,000 points per year) for any members who sign up and are approved.
Comparing Southwest Credit Cards
There are three personal cards and two business cards. The two business cards are not offering the same increased offer, so right now you’ll probably want to focus on the personal cards.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card and Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card are very similar in nature. The main difference is that the Plus card has a $69 annual fee, whereas the Premier card has a $99 fee. On an annual basis, however, you’ll receive 3,000 bonus points with the Plus card (worth about $42) and 6,000 bonus points with the Premier card (worth about $84). If you are getting the card purely for the bonus offer, you’ll want to get the Plus card to pay the lower annual fee.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card offers many different benefits than the other two. Although the annual fee is much higher at $149 per year, you’ll receive 7,500 points annually, a $75 Southwest travel credit yearly and four upgraded boardings per year. Those perks alone are worth $340. (7,500 points worth $105 + $75 travel credit + upgraded boardings worth $40 each). If you think you’ll keep the card year after year, the benefits will outweigh the annual fee.
Earn the Southwest Companion Pass
The Southwest Companion Pass is one of my favorite benefits in the travel world. With the pass, another traveler can fly with you for almost free an unlimited number of times for the entire length of the pass. This is huge as it truly can save you thousands of dollars on Southwest travel. I am approaching year 12 of being a companion pass holder and it has allowed my husband, my kids, my mom and many friends fly with me for hardly any extra fee. The only extra cost is the taxes and fees, which is just $5.60 each way for travel within the US. (International flights can sometimes be more).
To receive the pass, you must earn 125,000 qualifying points within a calendar year. To receive 75,000 points right off the bat puts you well on your way! You can also apply for one of the two business credit cards and upon approval and meeting the minimum spend requirement, those points will also count. This means you can apply for one personal card, plus one business card and you will cross over the 125,000 threshold almost instantly and earn the pass.
Southwest Business Credit Card Links:
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Business Premier Credit Card: Earn 60,000 points after you spend $3,000 in the first three months. ($99 annual fee)
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business Credit Card: Earn 70,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months. ($199 annual fee)
Once you earn the pass, it does not expire until the following Dec. 31st. That means if you earn the pass now, in 2020, the pass will not expire until Dec. 31, 2021. Since we are only in January, you can get almost two years of free flying with the pass.
If you are not eligible for a business credit card, other ways of earning qualifying points that count towards the pass include: credit card spend, southwest shopping portal and Rapid Reward partners.
This is a phenomenal offer on all three cards and I am truly not sure if we’ve even seen an offer this high for all three personal cards at once. If you are a Southwest fan, due their flexible change and cancelation policy or being able to re-price a flight when the fare decreases, then this is definitely a card you should consider. Especially, if you are going for the Southwest Companion Pass.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for the Southwest credit cards. As always, thank you for supporting the blog and enjoy traveling on a deal.