Today is the big day where Southwest has extended their reservation system. You can now go ahead and book flights through June 6, 2020. Up until this point you were only able to book through April 13, 2020 which means you can now book the rest of your spring flights — including Spring Break and Memorial Day weekend. Many times booking the day the schedule is released will give you the best deal for peak dates.
737 MAX 8 aircrafts grounded (Photo by Ralph Freso, Getty Images)
Book Now, Cancel Later
I personally love the flexibility of Southwest because I can cancel my vacation plans with NO PENALTY! I can also continue to watch the prices of the flight and IF they go down in price I can get the difference in points back! You can read more about the exact process and steps to go about this with these blog posts: “Changing and Canceling a Southwest Flight”, “If a Southwest Flight Goes Down in Price….”, and “Seeing if a Southwest Flight Went Down in Price is Now a Lot Easier“. But essentially if you…
- Paid for the flight… You will receive a voucher for the difference in fare price to be used one year from the date the flight was originally purchased (NOT the date the change or re-price process took place). This voucher is non-transferable. The voucher will be tied to the confirmation number of the original flight. There is NO fee for this.
- Booked your flight using points… The difference in points will go back into your account immediately. The taxes paid will go back to the credit card used. Again, there is NO fee for this. This is why I love booking Southwest flights using points!
Book Now, Add Your Companion Later
If you are going for the Southwest Companion Pass, where you can fly a companion 2-for-1, you can still book your flight now and add your companion later. Once you actually receive the pass, you can go ahead and add on your companion to your reservation. Remember, your companion flies free plus taxes/fees.
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card: Earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. ($69 annual fee)
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card: Earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. ($99 annual fee)
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card: Earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. ($149 annual fee)
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Business Premier Credit Card: Earn 60,000 points after you spend $3,000 in the first three months. ($99 annual fee)
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business Credit Card: Earn 70,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months. ($199 annual fee)
Also, if you are wondering when the next schedule extension is planned for…
New Routes Announced
With the schedule extension, Southwest also announced some new routes:
- Daily service between San Diego and Kahului on Maui begins April 14, 2020
- Daily service between San Diego and Honolulu on Oahu begins April 20, 2020
- Daily service between Boston and Austin on April 14, 2020
- Daily service between Boston and Dallas on April 14, 2020
- Weekend service between Denver and Charleston, SC on April 18, 2020
- Weekend service between Denver and Norfolk, VA on April 18, 2020
- Saturday service between Albuquerque and Orlando on April 18, 2020
- Saturday service between Rochester, NY and Ft. Lauderdale on April 18, 2020
- Saturday service between Kansas City, MO and Pensacola, FL on April 18, 2020
- Sunday service between Austin and Indianapolis on April 19, 2020
- Sunday service between Dallas and Cleveland on April 19, 202
- Weekend service between Atlanta and Cancun on April 18, 2020
- Weekend service between Atlanta and Punta Cana on April 18, 2020
- Weekend service between Oakland and Puerto Vallarta on April 18, 2020
- Saturday service between New Orleans and Cancun on April 18, 2020
For those looking to fly to Hawaii, with the announcement that they are expanding their Hawaii presence, you can get $129 flights from San Diego to Kahului and Honolulu. If you want to grab these fares, book now!
We are a big Southwest family, which means the day the flight extension schedule comes out is a big travel booking day for me! This go-around I actually had a few flights I was looking to book for my kids April vacation, but flight prices were actually pretty expensive. I was actually able to instead purchase flights on JetBlue for half the price. These are some instances where having the Southwest Companion Pass holder doesn’t really matter.
Where did you book?