With many different types of Delta credit cards, I’ve received many emails from readers with some valid questions. So here is everything you want to know both about these four cards. Feel free to comment below with any more questions you might have and I’ll be sure to respond!
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express
Top 10 Delta Credit Card Questions
1. Can I receive the bonus offer if I already have the Delta Gold card and now want to apply for the Delta Platinum card?
Answer: Yes! They are different products and you are eligible to receive the bonus offer if you are approved and meet the minimum spend requirement for a different Delta co-branded card. This applies to the personal vs. business cards as well – for instance, if you currently have the personal card you are eligible for the limited time offer for the business card.
2. Can I receive the bonus if I am no longer a cardmember, but have had this card in the past (and received a bonus offer)?
Answer: Unfortunately, American Express has a once in a lifetime bonus limitation. So if you’ve received an offer in the past (even if it was a lower offer), you will not be eligible for the bonus offer again. With that being said, all four cards are different products, so you are eligible to receive the offer for one of the cards even if you’ve received an offer for another one of the cards in the past.
3. Which card will earn me MQMs?
Answer: The Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express and Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express card will give you MQMs. On an annual basis, if you make $25,000 in purchases on the card, you’ll receive 10,000 MQMs; if you make $50,000 in purchases on the card in that same year, you’ll receive an additional 10,000 MQMs. The Delta Gold card will not give you any additional MQM bonus.
4. Aside from the bonus, what are the other perks of being a card member?
Answer: Just for having the card, you’ll receive: 1) First checked bag for free for both you and 8 other passengers on the same itinerary, 2) Priority boarding, 3) 20% in-flight savings, 4) Discounted SkyClub access, and 5) Having any of the four cards allows you to use your miles at a fixed redemption where you can get a discount on the price of a ticket – for every 5,000 miles redeemed you’ll get $50 off the cost of your ticket.
5. If I am eligible for either the personal or business version of the card, why should I get one over the other?
Answer: For the most part, the benefits of the personal and business cards are the same. The welcome offer will earn you the same number of miles and the benefits are the same as well. It is just a good opportunity to separate business expenses from personal expenses. Or if you already have one card, you can sign up for the other card.
6. How does the companion certificate work?
Answer: The companion certificate is a benefit that only comes with the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express and Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express. On an annual basis (starting with your first anniversary after you sign up for the card), you’ll receive a companion certificate where another passenger can fly with you and you’ll only pay the applicable taxes and fees. It is a once a year certificate and can be gifted to friends or family members as well. You can read more about the Delta Companion Certificate here.
7. I want to redeem my miles pretty quickly after earning the miles from the limited time offer, but will not have enough for an international flight – any other ways to earn Delta miles quickly?
Answer: You can quickly transfer points from your American Express Membership Rewards account at a 1:1 ratio. Marriott is also a transfer partner, but no longer a great redemption ratio.
8. Will I lose my Delta miles if I eventually cancel the card?
Answer: No! Canceling co-branded hotel and airline cards will NOT impact your mileage account. If you apply for the card now and for whatever reason at a later date decide to cancel the card, will not lose the miles earned. They are safe and sound in your Delta account to be used whenever you desire.
9. Is this card and authorized user cards eligible for the Amex Offers?
Answer: Yes! Since this an American Express credit card, you are eligible to take advantage of the American Express statement credit offers. Unfortunately, American Express put in place some new restrictions a few weeks ago where you can only receive 1 statement credit per account regardless of the number of American Express credit cards you have.
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links. As always, thank you for supporting the blog and enjoy traveling on a deal!