This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
Last year I posted about the BankDirect checking account which earns you American Airline miles. I personally use it now as my primary checking account, however, wanted to let all existing and interested account holders know that: “Beginning January 1, 2012 there will be a $12 monthly fee for all Mileage Checking Accounts regardless of balances.”
Many of you have emailed me interested in opening an account and I wanted to ensure you know of this change. Even with the $12/month fee, it MIGHT still be worth it as your primary bank account. I am pretty bummed about this new fee they are tacking on, but am still going to keep my account open. I am able to earn a pretty decent number of AA miles from this and do not have to report earnings (yet) as I would with another checking account where I earn interest.
If you are interested in this online checking account, you can read a detailed prior post here. However, I will quickly recap the bonus potential for you all:
New Account Bonus:
- Earn 1,000 miles for each new Mileage Checking Account or Mileage Money Market Account opened.
- Earn an additional 1,000 miles for every $100,000 in initial deposit, up to $500,000, per household.
- Earn 10,000 miles for establishing full payroll direct deposit from your employer into a Mileage Checking Account. Needs to be the full amount for three consecutive months.
- Earn 5,000 miles for using BankDirect’s bill pay service. Need to have 3 bill pay merchants for 12 consecutive months.
- Earn 5,000 miles for using your BankDirect Visa® CheckCard. Need 12 transactions per statement for three consecutive months.
- Earn 1,000 miles for referring a friend when they open a Mileage Checking account.
Ongoing Earning Potential:
- Earn 100 miles per month for every $1,000 of the monthly average collected balance in your Mileage Checking Account up to the first $200,000 on deposit.
- For monthly average collected balances over $200,000, earn 25 miles per $1,000 for all balances over the first $200,000 on deposit.
For example, if you have $50,000 in your checking account, you will earn 5,000 American Airline miles per month. This will result in 60,000 miles per year (enough for a round-trip ticket to Europe)! I am not going to go through the numbers and do an entire analysis of whether of not this account is worth it due to the sole fact that there are a variety of other checking accounts out there all with different interest amounts and fees tacked on. However, with a conservative 2 cents per mile, these 60,000 miles can be valued at about $1,200.
I also like how you get reimbursed for AMT withdrawals (4 per statement cycle), but I am not a fan of the site’s interface.
Just be aware of this new $12/month fee and if you are looking for a referral, feel free to contact me, or find a friend to refer you for that 1,000 point bonus. Every little bit helps, right?!