This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
This past weekend I needed to rent a car for three days. As we all know rental cars can add up especially when renting at an airport – those taxes/facility charges are a killer. I know many people will take a hotel shuttle to a nearby hotel and have an offsite rental car company pick them up there so they can rent off site and save on the taxes/facility fees, but in this scenario I did not have the option nor the time.
In the past I’ve had some great luck with Hertz as they quite often run promotions for $14.99/day for airport location pickups. I posted about this back in the Fall/Winter and at that time was actually able to get the Hertz rental car for $4.99/day after applying coupon codes. This time I didn’t have such luck, but still thought I got a pretty good deal.
Hertz $14.99 weekend rates
- For participating airport and non-airport locations in the U.S. (not including NY Metro and HI), Canada, Puerto Rico and Mexico, you can get a car rental for $14.99 per day (for Economy and Compact cars)
- Valid for rental Thursday (noon) through Monday (noon)
- Unlimited miles
- Valid through June 15, 2013
- Check rates and make reservations here (use RQ code: FRDM)
I was then able to apply a AAA code to receive an additional 10% off. CPD code: 1805452. While I personally do have a AAA card, they never checked at the counter. This brought my daily rate down to $13. 49/day.
I then tried to enter some additional AAA promotional codes, but none of them worked online. This happened to me last time and I figured I’d try my luck at the counter. I gave the representative a few different codes and none of them work. I question if I didn’t already get the 10% off, if these PC codes would have worked. The representative wouldn’t take off the 10% code to try for me, so I am not sure. Last time I did this, I was able to use a PC code (I didn’t have the 10% applied), and it worked great. What I’d probably suggest is getting the $14.99 rental and when you get to the counter try having the rep manually entering one of the codes listed below. If none work, then ask him/her to apply the 10% off discount. If only renting for the weekend, the PC codes will save you more money than the 10% off.
- Receive the first day FREE on a three-day weekend rental, expires March 31, 2013 – PC #175711
- Save $5/Day up to $15 on a Weekend Rental, expires December 31, 2013 – PC#176245 i
Let me know if you have any success!