This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
This is part of the reader question series that I started earlier this year – you can view more reader questions here. Feel free to email me at email@example.com if you have a question you’d like answered in a full on post.
Reader Aimee recently emailed me asking:
“I just got the Southwest Companion Pass (thanks to your tips on how to go about this!), but wanted to know if I can book my ticket using points for my husbands account and then add him on as my companion?”
This is a great question and the inner workings of the Southwest Airlines Companion Pass is definitely one that raises a lot of confusion. The best think about the companion pass is it’s flexibility and lack of too many rules!
The short answer to your question is YES! You can use points from another account to book the ticket of the companion pass holder and still use your companion pass to book the companions ticket. When using the companion pass it does not matter how the first ticket was booked – points from your account, points for any other account, free ticket from rapid rewards 1.0 program, paid ticket.
For those wanting to learn more about the Southwest Airlines Companion Pass, here is a prior blog series. Just remember that for many, the easiest way to earn the companion pass is through the credit card sign up and currently the enhanced sign up offer is not available.
- What is a Southwest Airlines Companion Pass?
- How to Earn a Southwest Airlines Companion Pass
- Getting Two Southwest Credit Cards to Count Towards the Companion Pass
- Earning Partner Points to Count Towards the Companion Pass
- Transferring Chase Ultimate Reward Points to Southwest for Companion Pass Status
- Getting the Southwest Airlines Companion Pass for 2014 and 2015 Calendar Year
- Using the Southwest Airlines Companion Pass on Southwest and AirTran flights
- Changing your Companion with the Southwest Airlines Companion Pass
- Top 20 Questions for the Southwest Airlines Companion Pass