This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
The current offer for the United MileagePlus Explorer credit card is 30,000 miles after spending $1,000 on the card within the first three months. From time to time, United comes out with a 50,000 mile offer so if you are not in a rush for this card, you might want to hold out to see if an increased offer appears.
- Free first checked bag: The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free ($25 value for the first checked bag, each way, per person) on United-operated flights when purchasing tickets with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card.
- Priority boarding: Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding.
- No fees on foreign transactions: Purchases made with your Explorer Card outside the U.S. will not be subject to foreign transaction fees.
- 2 United ClubSM passes per year: Take some time to relax before your flight with two one-time-use United Club passes each year. Enjoy complimentary beverages, snacks, and amenities like workspaces, free Wi-Fi and more.
Additionally, you can earn even more points by adding an authorized user or spending a certain amount on the card in the calendar year:
- 5,000 Bonus Miles: 5,000 Bonus Miles when you add an authorized user to your account and make a purchase with your Card during the first 3 months as a Cardmember.
- 10,000 Bonus Miles: Each calendar year, you are eligible to receive one 10,000-mile bonus after you reach $25,000 in net purchases on your Card.
So how many miles do you need to travel on United? Domestic economy class tickets are 25,000 miles roundtrip, so this card can get you 1 free ticket (+ taxes) off the bat. A better usage of miles typically though is to use for international travel. A roundtrip flight to Europe in coach will run you 60,000 miles.
While this is a good card to accrue United miles, I personally suggest waiting until a better offer comes available. The card also has a $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95. If you are in the market to accrue United miles, you can couple this offer with one of the Chase Ultimate Reward earning cards as their points transfer to United at a 1:1 ratio: Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Ink Plus card. You can learn more about Chase Ultimate Rewards here.
If you’ve received this offer in the past… From past experience with this particular card, the sign up bonus is available again as long as you meet the following criteria: 1) Not currently a cardmember; and 2) Have not received a new cardmember bonus for this consumer credit card within the last 24 months.
- United MileagePlus Explorer credit card: Earn 30,000 points after spending $1,000 on the card within the first three months. Earn another 5,000 points by adding an authorized user to the card and making at least one purchase within the first three months. $95 annual fee waived the first year.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. As always, thanks for supporting the blog and enjoy traveling on a deal.