This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
Update: This offer is now expired.
I just received an email from American Express that Starwood has bumped up their bonus offer from 25,000 to 30,000 SPG points for new applicants. From a quick look, it looks like you need to be referred by an existing Starwood AMEX card member to be eligible for the new offer. Offer expires August 22, 2011. Once I get the link I will update this post. Also, feel free to send me an email at email@example.com and I will send you a referral email immediately for your to apply for this great offer.
A similar offer was promoted last year for 30K, which I jumped on. Typically the offer is 25K and $15,000 spend to receive this bonus. Although last year you only needed to spend $1,500 to receive the bonus points, this offer is still pretty low in my opinion – $4,500 in 3 months. I personally love the Starwood card compared to the other hotel credit cards. You get 1 point for every dollar spent and the number of points needed to redeem is much lower than Marriott and Hilton. Starwood has some great category 4 and 5 properties out there where you need 10K and 12K respectively to get a free night. It then jumps to 20K for category 6 hotels (which can still be a great value internationally) and then an unreasonable amount for their category 7 hotels (their highest category). You also receive your 5th night free when redeeming at category 3-7 hotels. A huge benefit of SPG is that you can redeem a combination of cash and points at many hotels for a much better value. Click here to view the redemption options.
Additionally, if you prefer miles you can transfer to many airlines for a 1:1 ratio and get a 5K bonus for every 20K increments transferred over. There have also been times in the past where there is an additional bonus for transferring to miles, but I have not seen one in almost a year now.
Although Starwood properties are not as common as Marriott and Hilton, they have some of the top properties in the world. The value of this offer really depends on your redemption. For example, a friend of mine just redeemed at the Blue Palace Hotel in Crete, Greece which costs about $600/night (for a non-refundable room). With the Cash & Points redemption of $150 and 8K points/night, he receive a value of $.056/point. At that rate, 30K points is worth $1,680! Feel free to comment with some of your best redemptions.
- 10,000 SPG points after your first purchase using the card
- 20,000 SPG points after you spend $4,500 in the first 3 months on the card
- No annual fee for the first year – $65/year every year after
Starwood Credit Card Benefits:
- One (1) SPG points for every $1 spent on every day purchases
- One (1) additional SPG points for every $1 spent at participating Starwood properties — a total of four (4) points will be earned on every Starwood stay when using your Starwood American Express credit card
- Get your 3rd night free when you stay 2 consecutive nights at participating Sheraton hotels and resorts worldwide
- Receive 5 nights and 2 stay credits toward SPG elite status each year
Terms & Conditions:
- To be eligible to receive 10,000 bonus Starpoints, you must make your first purchase with the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card within one year of Card approval. Bonus points will appear on your Starwood Preferred Guest statement 8—12 weeks after your first purchase. Bonus Starpoints are for first-time Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Cardmembers only. Bonus Starpoints can only be received once per Cardmember, regardless of the number of Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card accounts the Cardmember may have or had.
- You must use your Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card to complete $4,500 of eligible spending by the end of your first three months of Cardmembership, based on the date of your Card approval. 20,000 Starpoints will be credited to your account 8 to 12 weeks after you reach the spend threshold. If the application is approved after 8/22/2011, you will not be eligible for the bonus offer.
- You will receive one additional Starpoint for each U.S. dollar of Eligible Spending charged on your Card account at participating Starwood properties, and at standalone retail establishments and online stores that, in each case, are wholly owned by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. Starwood associates do not receive any additional Starpoints as a Starwood Preferred Guest member for hotel stays and spend.
- No blackout dates apply to Free Night Awards, which apply to standard rooms only, as defined by each participating property; contact the property before booking to check availability.
- 3rd night free offer isvalid at participating Sheraton Hotels and Resorts. Offer is valid for reservations booked and completed by December 31, 2011. Offer is only valid for a three-night minimum length of stay. Only available for arrivals at Hotels on Thursday-Saturday using Promo Code ZHA. At Resorts all days of arrival are available using Promo Code ZRA. For every two nights paid receive one night free. Advance reservations are required. Promotion code ZHA or ZRA must be mentioned when making a reservation through the Customer Call Centers. The complimentary third night must be used in conjunction with a full paid two night stay. There are no credits for any unused free nights if the guest checks out early. These offers are based on Starwood’s best available unrestricted retail rates. Advance purchase required. Credit card will be charged at time of booking. Reservations cannot be changed, are pre-paid and non-refundable; if cancellation takes place, guests forfeit total room charge plus tax. Rates are per room, per night, based on single/double occupancy and availability at time of reservation and do not include additional per room, per night charges that may be imposed or state/local taxes. A limited number of rooms may be available at these rates. Blackout dates and other restrictions may apply. Offer not applicable to groups. Not to be combined with other offers or promotions and subject to change. Not responsible for omissions or typographical errors. Void where prohibited by law. Starwood reserves the right to discontinue this offer at any time.
- Upon opening your Card Account and, by February 15th of each subsequent calendar year it is open, you will receive from Starwood credit for 2 stays towards your Starwood Preferred Guest elite status and credit for 5 nights toward your Starwood Preferred Guest Elite status. This benefit is limited to one annual 2 stay credit and one annual 5 night Elite status credit per Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card account. You will not receive additional 2 stay or 5 night Elite status credits if you have multiple Card Accounts. Credits and status are subject to the terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest program.
- Pay no annual fee for the first year. The annual fee after the first year is $65.
To view Starwood rates and book a hotel room click here.