This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
Last week I posted about an amazing American Express promotion where you get $50 back in a statement credit after spending $200 (called the Amex Mix-n-Match promotion). There are more terms to this, but overall can be pretty lucrative! Many of you reached out asking if this can be combined with the current American Express promotion for NYC Restaurant Week and the answer is YES! The reason for this is that many of the ‘Restaurant Week’ restaurants are also participating merchants of the Amex Mix-n-March promo. The two promotions overlap between February 1-10, giving you 10 days to benefit!
Before I dive into the numbers, let me give you a quick recap of the two promotions:
- Amex Mix-n-Match: Between February 1 and February 29, 2012, American Express is offering a $50 statement credit when spending $200 at 2 or more participating New York City merchants (stores/restaurants/museum/broadway shows, etc.) Registration is limited to the first 20,000 people.
- Amex Restaurant Week: Between January 18 and February 10, 2012, dine out three times and receive a $20 statement credit. You must use your registered Amex card to pay for all three transaction. Registration is limited to the first 20,000 people.
Now, let’s run the numbers:
- Each time you dine out at a ‘Restaurant Week’ restaurant, your bill will be $44.19 ($35 for your three-course meal, 8.25% NYC tax, and an assumed 18% tip). Of course drinks will increase this bill amount.
- My assumption is you are eating out with someone else and of course you’ll convince them to give you the cash and you’ll put the entire amount on your credit card! This is necessary since the minimum spend for the Mix-n-Match promotion is $200 (unless of course you are able to meet that minimum spend another way).
- After you enjoy three great meals at some well-known NYC restaurants, the total cost for just your portion will be $132.54.
- You’ll then get a $20 statement credit per the terms of the Amex Restaurant Week promotion, bringing your total cost down to $112.54.
- You’ll then get a $50 statement credit per the terms of the Amex Mix-n-Match promotion, bringing your total cost down to $62.54.
But let’s not stop there. The title of this post is “Three American Express promotions,” and I’ve only gone through two…
If you access the restaurant week mobile site on your smart phone an additional promotion will appear: “Sync your eligible American Express Card with Foursquare and get $5 back when you dine out!” This promotion requires three steps:
- Sync: Sync any eligible American Express Card
- Unlock: Check into participating restaurants using Foursquare to unlock specials
- Save: Use your registered Card to dine and get $5 back
Registering for this promotion will bring your total cost down to $57.54! This means that each dinner out will only cost you $19.18 (tip and tax included!) – a pretty amazing deal for some great NYC restaurants!
While this promotion is not a money making deal like some of the ones we saw in the Fall, it is definitely a great way to take advantage of Restaurant Week, especially if you were going to anyways!
Just some things to remember:
- The three promotions only overlap between February 1 – February 10
- Double-check to make sure that the three ‘Restaurant Week’ restaurants are also participating merchants in the Mix-n-Match promotion
- Not all restaurants accept American Express, so make sure to find this out in advance
- You will be receiving three different statement credits from American Express, so keep a close eye on your American Express bill
- If partaking in the Foursquare promotion, make sure to ‘check-in’ when arriving at the restaurant
- Make sure to use the same registered credit card for all transactions
- Registration is limited so do not delay, but on the flip side, do not register if you 99.9% will not be in NYC to take advantage
Enjoy Restaurant Week!