Starwood just came out with a new promotion where you can purchase SPG points at a 35% discount! This offer is available to everyone and is better than the offer they just had this past April. To take advantage of this discount, you can purchase up to 30,000 points through July 14, 2017.
If you go all in it will cost you $682.50 to purchase 30,000 points. I definitely WOULD NOT suggest buying points speculatively, however, if you have an upcoming stay at a Starwood hotel, I suggest doing the math to see if purchasing points is cheaper then paying for the hotel outright. To receive the discount, you must purchase a minimum for 5,000 points.
And remember, since SPG points now transfer to Marriott, 1 SPG point = 3 Marriott points. So if you do go all in, those 30,000 SPG points will net you 90,000 Marriott points.
Some things to know with this promotion:
- The maximum number of points you can purchase in a calendar year is 30,000 points
- You can purchase points in increments of 500
- Points take up to 24 hours to deposit into your account
- Your Starwood account must be activated for at least 14 days
- Purchase points here
Pros/Cons of Redeeming Points:
- You will still get stay/night credits even when redeeming (pro)
- You will not get the points (con)
- If there is a bonus at the time, you will be ineligible when redeeming points (con)
- If you are using all points, you will not have to pay any taxes (pro)
- If using cash + point, you sometimes need to pay tax on the cash portion, but since this is on such a smaller amount you will not have to pay the full tax on the regular rate and at some resort and city locations this can be extremely high (pro)
- At some hotels, you do not have the pay the resort fee if using points to redeem for your stay (pro)
So unless there is some unbelievable promotion going on, or the cost of purchasing points is close to the cost of actually paying for the stay, definitely use points when it is cheaper. This is a really good opportunity to purchase points for cheap!