For those who have a Verizon cell phone, you are probably already well aware that their Smart Rewards program is pretty awful. I’ve accumulated over 300,000 points have have never redeemed for anything. I’ve looked at the site a few times and have never found anything even close to worthwhile or wasting my time for. Your points will never get you something for free, instead you use your points towards something – whether it is merchandise, coupons, or gift cards. Typically, you redeem your points to get anywhere between 10%-20% off of whatever you are looking to purchase. In the case for redeeming your points towards coupons, these coupons can many times also be found online or through the Entertainment Book. Ultimately, their rewards program is not much to pay attention to. But it is changing!
Verizon is leaving the Smart Rewards program and introducing the Verizon Up rewards program. All Smart Rewards points will expire on October 31, 2017, so you might as well go ahead and redeem your points for something. In my case, I’ll only redeem for free items, that means coupons and while it will not give me much value in the scheme of life, I’ll probably be able to use them somewhere locally. Might as well get $5 off somewhere I go anyways!
So what is Verizon Up?
Going forward you will no longer earn Smart Rewards points, waaahooo!!!, and instead you’ll earn Verizon Up points. For every $300 you spend on your Verizon Wireless monthly bill, you’ll get 1 credit. You can then redeem your credits for free rewards. From what it looks like, 1 credit can be redeemed for a minimum of a $5 gift card. FYI: You can only access Verizon Up from your cell phone.
Some rewards include:
- 20% off 10 rides within a month –> this could definitely save you a lot of money if you typically take expensive Uber rides!
- 1 GB of bonus data –> worth $10 if you are going to go over
- First 3 months free of HBO Now
- $10 Device Dollars –> worth $10
- $25 off $75 at Boxed.com –> worth $25 although only valid for new customers and I assume you cannot combine with another coupon code (which are always available), so a very low value
- $5 Starbucks gift card –> probably what most people will redeem for since it is a fixed $5 for something you’d use anyways!
I do hope more rewards get added! Or maybe once you earn more credits, more rewards are available? I am not sure! It does seem like everyone starts with 1 credit, so you can snag your free reward now, or wait until you’ve accrued more credits. Unlike Smart Rewards, however, credits do expire in 60 days, so make sure you do not let them expire.
While their rewards program will never be as good as a hotel or airline program, at least now you’ll be able to get something more desirable for free.