This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
It seems to be raining increased credit card offers this week! After the 300,000 Capital One Spark and 60,000 Southwest credit card offers, we now are seeing a 65,000 offer for the United MileagePlus Explorer Credit Card. This offer expires January 8, 2019.
With the United MileagePlus Explorer Credit Card offer you’ll earn up to 65,000 miles — Earn 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases within the first 3 months, plus an additional 25,000 bonus miles after you spend $10,000 total on purchases in the first 6 months. This is the best offer we’ve seen for the card this year. Back in May they offered an increased 50,000 bonus miles offer which was popular at the time, so to see an even better offer is always welcomed. While $10,000 spend might worry some, remember, you do have 6 months to earn the full amount of bonus miles. And unfortunately, this seems to be the new trend for Chase cards where they are offering tiered levels to get you to spend more on the card over a longer time period.
Travel benefits with this United credit card offer include:
- Free first checked bag: The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free ($25 value for the first checked bag, each way, per person) on United-operated flights when purchasing tickets with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card.
- Priority boarding: Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding.
- No fees on foreign transactions: Purchases made with your Explorer Card outside the U.S. will not be subject to foreign transaction fees.
- 2 United ClubSM passes per anniversary year: Take some time to relax before your flight with two one-time-use United Club passes each year. Enjoy complimentary beverages, snacks, and amenities like workspaces, free Wi-Fi and more.
- Up to $100 Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit: This is actually one of my favorite benefits of the card! While this benefit comes along with many expensive credit cards, it is rare to see it on a card that comes with only a $95 annual fee (and even waived the first year!).
So how many miles do you need to travel on United?
Domestic economy class tickets are 25,000 miles roundtrip, so this card can get you 2.5 free ticket (+ taxes) off the bat. Although sometimes a better usage of miles typically though is to use for international travel or business seats. A roundtrip flight to Europe in coach will run you 60,000 miles, which you’ll get with just this card offer.
Am I Eligible?
While this is a good card to increase your United balance, especially since the annual fee is waived for the first year, this card is subject to Chase’s “5/24” rule. That means if you’ve been approved for 5 or more credit cards in the past 24 months, Chase will not approve you for this card. Keep in mind though that only Chase and American Express PERSONAL cards (not BUSINESS cards) typically count towards the magic 5 number. Also, this offer is not available to those who are 1) currently a cardmember, and 2) have received a new cardmember bonus for this consumer credit card within the last 24 months.
- United MileagePlus Explorer Credit Card: Earn up to 65,000 miles — Earn 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases within the first 3 months, plus an additional 25,000 bonus miles after you spend $10,000 total on purchases in the first 6 months. $95 annual fee waived the first year.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. As always, thanks for supporting the blog and enjoy traveling on a deal.