The American Express “Rose” Gold card was one of the most sought after cards late last year. It was a brand new card and they were offering a limited time Rose Gold metal option. Although the Rose Gold and simply Gold card were the exact same card, there was definitely a cool factor by having a different color metal. The limited color ended in early January, but fortunately it is back again!
For new applicants who sign up for the card through the American Express Refer a Friend offer, you are eligible for the Rose Gold metal card design. Although this offer is only available through July 17, 2019. (The Rose Gold card design is not available through any publicly available offer or affiliate links).
- American Express Gold Card: Earn 40,000 American Express Membership Reward points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months of membership. (Note: The public offer or affiliate offer is a less offer, so if you are looking to apply for this card only apply through a friend’s referral link).
This is one of the richest cards cards for restaurant and supermarket purchases. With this card, you’ll receive:
- 4X Membership Rewards points at Restaurants worldwide
- 4X Membership Rewards points at U.S. Supermarkets (on up to $25,000 in purchases annually, then earn 1x points)
You’ll earn up to $10 per month in statement credits when you use your card at eligible dining partners. Assuming you are able to maximize the statement credits earned, this will give you a $120 dining credit every single year. Some participating locations include Shake Shack, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed.com and Grubhub/Seamless Web.
This card also gives a nice 3X Membership Reward point bonus on flights booked directly with airlines on amextravel.com. Although, I prefer to use a credit card which carries travel protection, and this card does not.
Similar to many other American Express credit cards, you’ll also receive up to a $100 airline fee credit per year. This is good for incidental fees at your selected airline. It works the exact same as the statement credit received from the American Express Platinum card and the existing American Express Premier Rewards Gold card.
New Perks to the Card
This card also went through a few enhancements which will only provide members more value. For starters, the 4x points at restaurants used to be limited to just U.S. restaurants, but has now been extended to restaurants worldwide.
On the $10 credit per month front, Boxed.com was added as a new participating merchant. For me this is huge. I will admit that I haven’t maximized the $10 credit every single month since I’ve had the card, but now with Boxed.com being offered, I’ll absolutely receive the credit every month going forward. I shop at Boxed anyways, so this is easy for me and will not mean I am spending any extra money.
To Apply Through the Better Offer and Receive the Rose Gold Metal
As I mentioned above, the applying through a refer-a-friend link has two benefits: 1) The only opportunity to receive the Rose Gold metal and 2) A better welcome offer. (Many other sites are not advertising the better offer, so steer clear of any bloggers link that is not disclosing to you the better opportunity)
Here are the steps to apply through a refer-a-friend link:
- Click on my personal referral link to see almost all American Express credit cards (it might bring up an offer for another Amex card)
- Select on the “View all Card with a Referral Offer” (you might have to swap to the personal cards view if you are on a business card referral).
- Click on “All Personal Cards”
- You’ll see the American Express Gold Card 40,000 point offer on the top row of the right-hand side (if not, just scroll down a little).
If you are a current American Express member, feel free to leave your referral link in the comments section below. Readers, feel free to apply through anyone’s link as you see fit! (Note: American Express sent out 1099 forms this year for those members who earned points through refer-a-friend links. Something to keep in mind).
I love the concept of the Rose Gold, although it is by no means the sole reason to get the card. Although, I must admit, it is a very desirable looking card. While there is a $250 annual fee, on a yearly basis you’ll receive up to $220 worth of statement credits ($120 on dining credits + $100 on airline fee credits). In just the first year, you’ll also receive the following:
- 40,000 bonus Membership Reward points as part of the welcome offer
- $100 statement credit for a qualifying airline purchase
- $130 in total statement credits for dining purchases throughout the year
So in just the first year of cardmember, you’ll receive a total of $230 in statement credits and 40,000 Membership Reward points. I value my Membership Reward points at a conservative 1.5 cents per point, so in my book they are worth around $600.