UPDATE: This offer has expired.
Chase just launched a new offer for the Southwest credit card which where you’ll receive the Southwest Companion Pass plus 30,000 Southwest points after you spend $4,000 on the card. This is an incredibly unique offer as it is essentially handing you the pass without having to actually earn the 110,000 points. For those who were not able to apply for two cards during the last go-around of offers or have a hard time reaching that 110,000 point threshold, this is pretty awesome!
This offer is only available for the three personal cards (not the business card). So apply for just one of the cards will allow a friend or family member to fly with you for FREE (plus taxes) an UNLIMITED number of times! Unfortunately though, this pass does expire December 31, 2019 so you’ll get 11 months out of the pass. And remember, you can use your points to book your flight and then still use the points on top of that which means both passengers can fly for free!
FAQ’s About the Companion Pass
- Are there blackout dates with the companion pass? With the companion pass there are no black out dates or seat restrictions – if there is a seat available for purchase, it is available for your companion. The companion pass can even be used if points were redeemed for a free flight. This can result in both passengers flying for FREE (plus the ~$5 taxes/passenger)!
- How many times can the companion pass can be used? Unlimited! There is no cap on the number of times the pass can be used.
- Who can be a companion? Anyone can be your companion – friends, family, a complete stranger. However, the companion pass can only be switched up to three times during the validity of the pass. Since you need to allocate your companion when getting the pass, this allows you 4 people to use the pass (those people can be repeated and put back on as the companion as well but counts as one of your allowed changes).
- How quickly does my designated companion go into affect? Immediately. To change your companion pass, call Southwest Customer Relations and they will easily assist you on the spot. You can then book a flight for your companion right away.
- What if I need to change my reservation, will the companion still be able to fly without the primary person? No. If you need to cancel or change your flight, your companions flight will also be cancelled. I’ve actually screwed myself over before as I needed to change my flight last minute and my companion had to buy a new ticket (at a much higher price since it was only a few days in advance of the flight).
- Can I use the companion pass on international flights? Absolutely!! You can currently use your companion pass on any route Southwest flies. Of course with international flights you are going to pay a little more in taxes/fees ($50-$100), but it is so worth it!
- Can the companion pass be used even on an awards ticket with points? Yes! The companion pass can be used on ANY ticket type, the primary person’s ticket does not have to be a paid ticket.
- If I go standby at the airport can I apply the companion pass? Unfortunately no.
I personally have had the Southwest Companion Pass for the past 11 years. It is by far my favorite perk in the entire travel industry and it has saved my family thousands and thousands of dollars over the years!