UPDATE: This offer has expired.
American Express just launched two brand new credits cards which is a great addition as they earn full Membership Rewards points, meaning the points earned can be transferred to a slew of partner loyalty programs.
The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express (no annual fee version):
- Sign-up bonus: Earn 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Points earned: Earn 2x points at US Supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1x); Earn 1x point on other purchases.
- Additional perks: Use your Card 20 or more times on purchases in a billing period and earn 20% more points on those purchases less returns and credits.
- Annual fee: No annual fee
- Application link: The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express
- *Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees
The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express (annual fee version)
- Sign-up bonus: Earn 15,000 Membership Reward® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Points earned: Earn 3x points when you shop at US Supermarkets (up to $6,000 in purchases each year, then 1x points after you meet the spend cap); Earn 2x points when you shop at US gas stations; Earn 1x point on all other purchases.
- Additional perks: Earn a 50% bonus when you use your card to make 30 or more purchases in any billing period.
- Annual fee: $95/year
- Application link: The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express
- Terms Apply
Maximizing your points earning: One of my favorite perks with these two cards is the opportunity to earn a 20% or 50% bonus on your purchases. While you must use the card quite often throughout your billing cycle, I personally do not think using a credit card on average once a day at most is too difficult. Especially because there is no minimum dollar amount required for the transaction to qualify. If you are able to hit the 20 or 30 transactions this means you can earn the following number of points:
- The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express:
- US Supermarket purchases: 2.4 points per dollar spent
- All other purchases: 1.2 points per dollar spent
- The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express:
- US Supermarket purchases: 4.5 points per dollar spent
- US Gas stations: 3 points per dollar spent
- All other purchases: 1.5 points per dollar spent
I actually might get the Amex EveryDay card as a way to keep my Membership Reward points active in the case I cancel a credit card tied to the program. I wrote more about keeping your Membership Reward points active here.
You can learn more about Membership Rewards redemptions along with the pro’s and con’s against other flexible programs here.