UPDATE: This offer has expired.
The United MileagePlus Explorer Credit Card increased its card offer back in November to a very generous 65,000 mile bonus. Unfortunately though, all good things must come to an end as this offer is set to expire in just a few days on January 8, 2019.
- Key Link: United MileagePlus Explorer Credit Card: Earn up to 65,000 miles — Earn 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases within the first 3 months, plus an additional 25,000 bonus miles after you spend $10,000 total on purchases in the first 6 months.
This is the best offer we’ve seen for the card in the past year. Back in May 2018 they offered an increased 50,000 bonus miles offer which was popular at the time, so to see an even better offer is always welcomed. While $10,000 spend might worry some, remember, you do have 6 months to earn the full amount of bonus miles. And unfortunately, this seems to be the new trend for Chase cards where they are offering tiered levels to get you to spend more on the card over a longer time period.
Travel benefits with this United credit card offer include:
- Free first checked bag: The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free ($25 value for the first checked bag, each way, per person) on United-operated flights when purchasing tickets with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card.
- Priority boarding: Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding.
- No fees on foreign transactions: Purchases made with your Explorer Card outside the U.S. will not be subject to foreign transaction fees.
- 2 United ClubSM passes per anniversary year: Take some time to relax before your flight with two one-time-use United Club passes each year. Enjoy complimentary beverages, snacks, and amenities like workspaces, free Wi-Fi and more.
- Up to $100 Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit: This is actually one of my favorite benefits of the card! While this benefit comes along with many expensive credit cards, it is rare to see it on a card that comes with only a $95 annual fee (and even waived the first year!).
So how many miles do you need to travel on United?
Domestic economy class tickets are 25,000 miles roundtrip, so this card can get you 2.5 free ticket (+ taxes) right off the bat. Although sometimes a better value is to use for international travel or business seats. A roundtrip flight to Europe in coach will typically run you 60,000 miles, which you’ll earn just with this offer.
Am I Eligible?
While this is a good card to increase your United balance, especially since the annual fee is waived for the first year, this card is subject to Chase’s “5/24” rule. That means if you’ve been approved for 5 or more credit cards in the past 24 months, Chase will not approve you for this card. Keep in mind though that only Chase and American Express PERSONAL cards (not BUSINESS cards) typically count towards the magic 5 number. Also, this offer is not available to those who are 1) currently a cardmember, and 2) have received a new cardmember bonus for this consumer credit card within the last 24 months.