This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Although Starwood’s “Nice Choice” Summer promotion started on May 1st, you have until June 30th to register (and all stays prior to registering will count as well!). With most promotions I typically register the moment they are announced, however, with this one it has made sense to wait to the very last minute. This promotion only allows you to register for one of the many options and only during one of the three promotional time frames. When this was announced a month or two ago, I had no idea of my upcoming Starwood stays, but now I must make a decision!
Unfortunately each account can only select one earning period. Once you make your decision, you cannot change your mind! They include:
- May 1 – July 31
- June 1 – August 31
- July 1 – September 30
- Double points beginning with your second stay (no earning limit) — good option if you have less than fifteen nights during the promotional period and if the rates are relatively expensive.
- If your check-in or check-out date falls outside of the three month period you will still earn double points on your entire paid stay as long as one of the dates is within the promotional time period. For example, if you select the first three month period and you check into a hotel on July 30th, but do not check out for two weeks later, the entire stay will qualify for double points – however, you just must have had at least one stay prior to within the promotional timeframe.
- Remember: Cash & Point stays DO NOT qualify – must be a fully paid stay **This is for all Starwood Bonus Point Options
- Get 3,000 SPG points with every sixth night (maximum of 9,000 bonus points) — this is only worth it if have exactly a multiple of three nights during the period and are staying on very inexpensive rates.
- Earn 500 points for every stay at Sheraton booked online (no earning limit) — if you are staying at Sheraton’s this is the promotion for you.
- You must book your stay at spg.com, Sheraton.com, or Starwoodhotels.com – no third party booking sites
- As for as I am aware, Four Points by Sheraton Hotels will NOT qualify for this promotion
- Stay 15 nights, and receive triple points on all those stays retroactively (no earning limit) — this is the ideal selection for those that are pretty much living at a Starwood hotel!
- Similar to the double point option, if your check-in or check-out date falls outside of the selected promotional period, you will still earn triple points on your entire paid stay as long as you hit at least 15 nights.
- Stay 10 nights, get 1 free weekend night certificate (max of 2 certificates) — only worth it if you absolutely have a place to redeem the free night award and if the stay would be expensive!
- Weekend nights are valid Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights
- Certificates are valid at category 1-5 hotels only for a standard room
- You are able to apply suite upgrades to a free weekend night redemption and the free nights do count towards your yearly and lifetime status
- Certificate expires December 23, 2012
- Awards are not transferable and may not be given as a gift – if not used by the expiration date, they are forfeited
I actually have not yet stayed at a Starwood property since the promotion has started. I will be staying at a Sheraton this upcoming weekend and after that have limited plans again. It looks like my best option for me will be the “Earn 500 points for every stay at Sheraton booked online.” Since I have a two-night Sheraton stay this weekend that will earn me an additional 1,000 points. If I were to go the double points route I actually would not earn any additional points since the double point promotion does not kick in until my 2nd stay. And if I stay at a Starwood property again through September 30th, chances are it will be at a Sheraton anyways. To earn an additional 500 points per night at a the room rate will need to be $250, which is incredibly high anyways.