This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
A few days ago a few of us BoardingArea bloggers got together and decided to team up and donate to the relief efforts for Hurricane Sandy. While we could have just donated whatever we saw fit, we thought it would be nice to have our blog readers set the amount we donate. Today is the last day to comment on this prior post and for every comment we receive we will donate $1 up to $1,800 in total. That means 1,800 comments are needed amongst these 6 blogs and we aren’t even close. I know people are more apt to comment when their is some sort of giveaway or something in it for them, but let’s set that aside for now and comment, comment, comment (only one comment per person per blog though). Thus far I only have 46 comments and I know I have MANY more unique blog readers than that every 20 minutes!
I mentioned all the ways to donate (if you desire) in my prior post, but I just wanted to list them out again, especially the ones that will give you a small number of points/miles for your generous contribution.
- JetBlue is matching customer donations up to the first $50,000 donated to the American Red Cross and also offering 6 points per dollar to their TrueBlue members. JetBlue is also making their presence felt on the ground in New York City, paying for meals from the Wafels & Dinges food trucks to be distributed to residents.
- Delta is donating $100,000 to the American Red Cross relief efforts. Additionally, SkyMiles members can also donate miles or money to the Red Cross; there does not appear to be any miles promo associated with it at this time.
- United Airlines is matching up to $100,000 in donations to three charities: the American Red Cross, Feeding America and AmeriCares. As of this morning their member have already donated more than $300,000 to the charities so the match is maxed out. Additionally, members who give a minimum of $50 will receive 250 bonus miles. Donations of $100 or more will receive 500 miles. The company will issue up to 5 million miles as part of the effort.
- American Airlines is offering 250 AAdvantage miles to members who donate $50 and 500 miles to members who donate $100 or more.
- Hilton is offering 10 HHonors points for every $1 donated (through their GlobalGiving site) through the end of the year.
- Starwood Preferred Guest will match points donations made to the American Red Cross through November 30th. Donations start at 2,000 SPG points.
- Salvation Army accepts donations of United and Delta miles with a minimum of 1,000 miles.
Also, as Mr. Deals pointed out on his weekly post this past Sunday, here are some other places for donations:
You absolutely do not have to donate at all, just need to comment stating how you would like to help others in need. Please please please just one comment per person (per bog that is).
Make sure to comment on these other bloggers post as well who have joined the relief efforts: View From the Wing, Mommy Points, The Wandering Aramean, Ghetto IFE, and Very Good Points. At 11:59pm EST Thursday November 8th, we will tally up the comments and between the six of us donate up to $1,800. Let’s get to those 1,800 comments!