This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
During small business Saturday (Saturday November 24th) you can get a $25 statement credit when using a registered American Express credit card at participating small businesses in your local community (must spend $25+ with this Amex card). You can only receive one credit per American Express card, but there is no limit to the number of cards you can register. If you have multiple Amex cards and have an expensive purchase, have the local business split the charges amongst the various cards you have!
To be eligible, you must first register for this promotion. This registration opens tomorrow and enrollment is limited. I highly suggest getting your American Express cards together and enrolling this SUNDAY at 2:00am EST. Do not forget as this is free money!
To find out participating Small Businesses in your area, go to the Small Business Saturday, website and on the bottom of the page type in your location/zip code. You will see 20 pages of the closest participating small businesses close to that location. If you are in a popular area, try entering the town/zip code nearby to see additional participating merchants. This is a great way to support your local businesses while also getting something for free – a win-win situation!
And just a side note… unfortunately, corporate cards and prepaid cards are not eligible but all other American Express cards can be registered – another great advantage of an American Express points/miles earning credit card. This includes (just to list a few), Starwood American Express, Hilton American Express, Costco American Express, Bloomingdales American Express, Macy’s American Express, American Express Gold Rewards Card, American Express Platinum Card, Citi AAdvantage American Express, etc. The business versions of these cards also qualify. If you have added authorized users, those cards are also eligible and are separate from the primary card. This, however, does not work for secondary cards that have the same account number and is typical for the Citi American Express cards.
Between Mr. Deals and I, we will be enjoying $150 of free money! I haven’t yet figured out definitely where I will be “shopping” on Small Business Saturday, but most likely a local restaurant. If you have no use for that amount of free money on that one day, you can also purchase gift cards in store for $25.
Terms and Conditions:
- Limit one (1) $25 statement credit per American Express card. To be eligible, Cardmembers must enroll an eligible American Express Card in this offer at ShopSmall.com. Prepaid and Corporate Cards are not eligible.
- The number of enrollments is limited. Enrollment opens at 12:00AM MST (“Mountain Standard Time”) on November 18, 2012, and will continue until 11:59PM MST on November 24, 2012 unless the enrollment limit is reached sooner.
- To receive the $25 statement credit, the Cardmember must use his or her enrolled Card to spend $25 or more in a single, in-store transaction at a qualifying small business location on Saturday, November 24, 2012. To receive the credit, the transaction must equal $25 or more (for example, if your transaction is only for $15, you will not receive a credit). Multiple transactions of less than $25 will not qualify even if the combined total of those transactions is over $25. You may purchase multiple items that together equal $25 or more, but you must purchase them in a single transaction to receive the statement credit.
- Qualifying small business locations are those identified on the Shop Small® Map, available at ShopSmall.com. In addition, small business locations that accept American Express through Square also qualify and can be found on the Square Directory at https://squareup.com/directory/?cmpId=amex or from your mobile phone using the Square Wallet app. Small business locations that do not appear on the Shop Small® Map or that do not accept American Express through Square will not qualify for the $25 statement credit offer. Please note that business location information provided on the Shop Small® Map and Square Directory may contain inaccuracies or errors, including as a result of information provided by third parties. Transactions with political campaigns or political action committees are not eligible, regardless of whether they appear on the Shop Small® Map or in the Square Directory.
- If American Express does not receive information that identifies a transaction as having occurred in-store at a qualifying small business location, the transaction will not qualify for the statement credit. For example, the following transactions will not be eligible for the credit: transactions made using an electronic wallet or any other transaction made through a third party; and transactions not made directly with the merchant.
- Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 8 weeks after American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase. Note that American Express may not receive information about your qualifying purchase from the merchant until all of the items from your qualifying purchase have been provided or shipped by the merchant.
- The Card Registration Terms and Conditions will also apply at enrollment.