UPDATE: This offer has expired.
Starwood just announced a nice bonus promotion for those that have the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card by American Express (both the personal and business version of the card).
With this offer you can earn an extra 1,000 bonus SPG points when you stay two or more nights at any Starwood hotel through August 30, 2015.
Remember, this bonus is on top of all the other current SPG promotions, which includes:
- Earn an extra 1,000 bonus points for every 2+ nights that take place over the weekend (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). Expires August 31, 2015. Blog Post
- Earn a free night at a Sheraton hotel with every 5 nights (non-consecutive) at a Sheraton hotel. Expires September 30, 2015. Blog Post
This promotion is lining up well with the enhancements American Express is making to the Starwood credit card come August 11, 2015. I wrote about these changes in this prior blog post, but to quickly recap:
- No Foreign Transaction Fees. While many other cards have been waiving the foreign transaction fees for awhile now, many American Express cards (this one included) still charged a few percentage points when using the card internationally. This meant I never used my Starwood card overseas, even if I was staying at a Starwood hotel. Now that there will be no foreign transaction fees for both cards, this will allow folks to use the co-branded card during Starwood stays to reap the double points perk.
- Boingo Wi-Fi. Both cards will now give you complimentary access to use Boingo’s wireless access. Personally, this isn’t a deal breaker for me as many places are offering free WiFi. But if you are one that typically pays for Boingo WiFi or have a monthly subscription, this will help you save some money.
- Premium In-Room Internet Access. Both cards will not give you the upgraded premium internet access when staying at a Starwood hotel. This is already complimentary for those with Gold and Platinum members. Also, even if you do not have Starwood status, as long as you book your hotel directly with Starwood, you’ll receive free in-room internet access, it just might not be the upgraded premium access. Again, not the biggest added benefit, but still a nice enhancement for simply having the card.
- Free Access to Sheraton Club Lounges. This benefit is only being extended to those with the Starwood Preferred Guest Business card (not personal card members). In my opinion this is a huge perk to the card. This is a benefit that is already given to those with Platinum status, but now everyone can enjoy lounge access regardless of status. Remember though, this is only for Sheraton hotels. While lounges can be spotty throughout the US, I’ve found international lounges to be top notch at Sheraton hotels.