This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
UPDATE: This offer has expired.
American Express is offering 50,000 points for the The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN. To earn these points you must meet the minimum spend requirements of $5,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Additionally, there is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $175. *Terms and limitations apply.
While I personally wish the American Express Membership Rewards program didn’t lose so many transfer partners over the past few years (no more United and Southwest partnership) and still had Delta bonus transfers, I like the option of having points that are flexible. I’ve been transferring my Membership Reward points to British Airways Avois points during bonus transfer promotions (which they have quite often) as I am a big fan of using Avios domestically. While I like the transfer options for the Chase Ultimate Rewards program, they have yet to have a transfer bonus like Amex has from time to time. If you can redeem your points during the transfer bonus promotions, then these Membership Reward points can go a long way.
You will earn 3x points on one category of your choice (applies to the first $100,000 in purchases per year, then 1x point per dollar thereafter). The five categories include:
- Airfare purchased directly from airlines
- U.S. purchases for advertising in select media
- U.S. purchases at gas stations
- U.S. purchases for shipping
- U.S. computer hardware, software, and cloud computing purchases made directly from select providers
You will then earn 2x points on the remaining 4 categories (again it applies to the first $100,000 in purchases per year, then 1x point per dollar thereafter). On all other purchases you’ll then earn 1x point.
The other benefit of this card (along with all OPEN credit cards) is the discount you’ll receive at some popular merchants. My personal favorites are 10% at Office Max, 10% at Hertz, 5% at FedEx, 5% at 1-800-FLOWERS, and 5% at Barnes & Nobles.
I’ve also been on a huge American Express kick with the statement credits and have been able to pay for the annual fee on my cards while making money. This is just another card to add to the money making pile (that is if you take advantage of those offers)!
Additional Card Member Benefits:
- Annual Travel Benefit: Receive a $100 statement credit when using an American Express card to purchase a vacation of at least $3,000 through American Express Travel. Limit one credit per Card account, per year. Credit posted to Cardmember’s account 3-4 weeks after completion of travel. Not valid for group bookings.
- OPEN Savings: Receive 3-10% credit on purchases made with an American Express Business card with participating merchants – open.com/opensavings. 10% off at Office Max, Hertz, and HPDirect.com; 5% off at FedEx, Marriott Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Carey, Epson, Microsoft Store, 1-800-FLOWERS, Barnes & Nobles
- Return Protection: Return an item up to 90 days from purchase, up to $300 per item and up to a maximum of $1,000 per Cardmember account per calendar year. Shipping and handling charges will not be reimbursed. Subject to additional terms, conditions and exclusions.
- Roadside Assistance Anywhere: The American Express Roadside Assistance Anywhere services are provided as an emergency service and not a general maintenance type service. Only one disablement for the same cause during any consecutive seven-day period will be allowed. Coverage provided for self-propelled, four-wheel vehicles designed, licensed, and used for private on-road transportation, and trucks with a carrying capacity of up to 2 tons. Towing to the nearest authorized facility, or, upon the Card member’s request, to another location at a maximum towing distance of 10 miles with a maximum of $50 coverage. Fuel provided in emergency situations will be charged to the Card member’s Card Account. Emergency situations do not include: all parts, labor and supplies provided while at an auto repair shop or service station, towing to another location unless the initial service location is closed, service for taxicabs, tractors, boats, rental vehicles, ambulances, trucks, vehicles used for competition, unlicensed vehicles, illegally parked or impounded vehicles, or any vehicles in tow, rental and towing equipment, towing at the direction of law enforcement officer relating to traffic obstruction, impoundment, abandonment, illegal parking, or other violations of law or towing by other than a licensed service station or garage, installation or removal of snow tires, repairs to studs, mounting and dismounting snow chains, repeated service calls for a vehicle in need of routine maintenance or repair, shoveling snow from around a vehicle, vehicle storage, or impoundment charges. Coverage is applicable to the entire United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. Limit of 4 services per calendar year.